Requisition ID: 144724
Work Area: Software-Design and Development
Location: Walldorf/St. Leon-Rot
Expected Travel: 0 - 10%
Career Status: Graduate
Employment Type: Limited Full Time
SAP's vision is to help the world run better and improve people's lives.
As the cloud company powered by SAP HANA®, SAP is a market leader in enterprise application software, helping companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP empowers people and organizations to work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively. SAP applications and services enable our customers to operate profitably, adapt continuously, and grow sustainably.
At SAP, we believe in the power of collaboration and empower our employees to perform at their best in an environment that encourages free and open expression of ideas. You'll work alongside creative thinkers who share your interests, while turning big ideas into reality for our customers. With innovative job training, mentors to help you grow, and the flexibility to balance your work and personal life, you'll be able to get more out of your career. It's no wonder that some of the sharpest minds from around the world are working for a company that is consistently recognized as a global top employer.
Now it's your turn to take the next step and help make the world Run Simple.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
Success of apps you developed on international markets - Top usability for users around the world - Software compatibility for everyone everywhere: These are things you don't care about? 'My language is good enough' is your motto?
Software localization and translation are expensive and complex exercises not worth the effort?
Great, our position is NOT for you - we need someone with broad horizons who is keen to learn and develop specialized skills, and to understand the principles of global success.
Availability of our products in local languages is a key success factor for selling SAP software globally. SAP Language Services (SLS), one of the units in SAP's Globalization Services area, provides translation and other language-related services for all SAP solutions, products and non-coded assets (documentation, other user assistance, training and marketing materials etc.) in more than 40 languages in a highly technology-driven growth environment.
Within the Product translation area, our Onboarding Translation Service Team handles the translation needs of SAP's acquired companies, whose products are built using numerous diverse technologies.
We are looking for a software developer with a strong interest in building expertise in localization engineering to support our translation service teams at SLS in all technical aspects. The successful candidate combines a background and ideally relevant work experience in localization process management, software technology, and (linguistic) quality, and is able to build the bridge between business and translation processes and technology.
The successful candidate, who will look for career advancement in a key software area with global impact, will receive relevant classroom and online learning opportunities and will also be trained and supported directly on the job by senior colleagues. We are looking for a motivated and independent individual who learns fast and is eager to become a productive team member in a short time. The candidate will communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of internal and external teams in a global set-up.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS
- You will become familiar with the key aspects of GILT (Globalization, Internationalization, Localization, Translation), which are essential for the global success of software innovations.
- You will ensure the translatability of texts delivered from internal customers by, amongst others, troubleshooting files and creating conversion routines.
- You will collaborate within your own translation service team and with other teams within and outside of SLS to ensure successful professional service offerings in support of adequate project management.
- You will continuously optimize relevant processes with a focus on automation and simplification.
- You will provide consulting to SAP-internal customers taking personal ownership in ensuring that our customer's expectations are met.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in computational linguistics, computer science or an interdisciplinary program combining language/translation with computer science or business administration
- Fluent in English and German - verbal and written
- Advanced knowledge of XML, HTML and related technologies
- Good programming and/or scripting skills in, amongst others, Java, Perl, Python and Microsoft technologies
- Basic understanding of localization and translation processes, including linguistic quality standards and TMS (translation management systems) and CAT (computer aided translation) tools
- Flexible and service-oriented team player with excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Regular expressions, Xpath, encoding, Git, and string operations isn't all Greek to you - and you know that Python is not only an animal
- Understanding of latest scientific methods and developments in localization engineering
- Understanding of the translation industry and knowledge of translation-related market software, such as SDL Trados, Alchemy CATALYST, memoQ, Smartling
- Familiarity with SAP technologies (in particular ABAP) and SAP translation tools
- This is an entry-level position for recent or upcoming graduates with 0-2 years work experience (e.g. as working student, intern or thesis student)
- Ideally experience in the localization/translation industry (language service provider or buyer) or in a technical translation position
- Ideally experience with software translation
SAP'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
To harness the power of innovation, SAP invests in the development of its diverse employees. We aspire to leverage the qualities and appreciate the unique competencies that each person brings to the company.
SAP is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical, sensory and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with SAP and are in need of accommodation or special assistance to navigate our website or to complete your application, please contact us at Careers.Germany@sap.com. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.